I whizzed through lunch time traffic, ran up the infamous Jammie stairs and caught a great sight of the astute and graceful media, manufacturing and property mogul. (I MEAN GIIRRRRRRLLLL). Donning a draped, bottle green dress- she exuded confidence and so much poise.
The purpose of her talk was unfolding “A day in the Life of Khanyi.”
She shared her life story from her (hard to believe) tomboy days to being the face of Thandi magazine at the age of 16. Her journey then saw her host the 8pm news and also during that time, she was Fashion and Beauty Assistant for True Love magazine. Because she is amazing, she became editor of the magazine for eight years before jetting off to the UK to do her MBA at Harvard. (Shine!)
Here are the nine points she nailed down and elaborated on during her talk (all of which were supported by quotes- as she does):
- Be clear and specific about what you want.
- Take the road less travelled. Look for chances and opportunities. There are no wrong turns.
- Shift from “What do I get?” to “What do I give?”
- Know the power of focus. Choose one focus, master and give your 100% to it.
- Embrace failure. It’s an opportunity to be and do better. We are meant to grow.
- Prioritize to find balance. ‘Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished”
- Know and embrace your power. Negotiate for what you are worth.
- Master yourself, master your thoughts. Autosuggest and affirm yourself with your beliefs.
- Choose to be positive. Soldier on, regardless.
Thanks to the UCT InvestSoc group, I finally had the pleasure of “meeting” my #CareerCrush, Khanyi Dhlomo.
Now, I’m about to SLAY.